Monday, March 30, 2009

Motivational Monday....

Good Morning Moday
Where is my sunshine?


(this is what we woke up to this morning in Colorado)
Motivational Mondays
is
written
in
my
favorite color
So in honor of our SPRING blizzard here in Colorado I think about staying warm in my pj's and grabbing a
GOOD BOOK
I love to read, but this love for reading has not always been so. I did not LOVE to read when I was in school and the only way you could get me to sit down and read a book was if I had to for a school book report. This lasted all the way through my whole high school career. I hated to read. But I develped a love for reading as an adult. I think that love came from having children who I started reading to when they were infants. As a mom I wanted my children to have a love for books because I believe that you can get a good education and develope a great imagination by reading good books. Reading is a favorite hobby in our home now. All 4 of my girls love to read. I love seeing the sight of my toddlers rereading a book after I have read it to them. I tell them ok now I want you to read the story to me and it is so precious to see them look at the pictures and say what they can remember of the story. It is so nice to see my 2 older daughters reading to the youngest 2 and they LOVE it. So how to develope a love of reading in your family is to read TOGETHER. I think a fun activity is to set up a "book fair" in your living room by gathering all of your childrens books and displaying them on a table or just on a blanket on the floor. Give them each a shopping bag and let them go shopping for books. After they gather a few books of their choice sit down together and snuggle and READ. Then let your kids read the book to you even if they can not read yet. It is a sweet way to spend time together. You could even have a snack together after the "book fair"!!! Some of our families favorite books are:
Family Books:
The Scriptures
John's favorites:
Lord Of The Rings
The Hobbit
Tarzan
Dawn's favorites:
Twilight
Work And The Glory
Promise of the Children & Hearts of the Children
Rowena's favorites:
Lord of the Rings
Inkheart series
Maybird
Chicken Soup books
Brook's favorite:
Harry Potter
Molly Moon
The Sisters Grim
The Leventhumps series
Tree House series
Courtney and Mackenzie's favorite:
Green Eggs and Ham
( all Dr. Seuss books)
Courtney says " Horse books"
Pop up books
Purplicious
Good Night Moon
Love You Forever
Dora's bedtime stories
I asked the three older girls their favorites and for Mackenzie I called her favorites books that she brings me to read.
So sit down with your kids and enjoy some time together by reading together. One of our favorite things to do as a family is to go to the library. A trip to the library: gas in the car or time walking
Being with your kids at the library: PRICELESS

3 comments:

all about the girls said...

Hey Dawn, I love your motivational Mondays--but I can't read it in purple! Miss you!!

rick and cheryl said...

So, ready for more snow tomorrow? You have a great blog, Dawn. Sorry it's taken me forever to get to it! But I've enjoyed reading it! You have such a sweet family.

all about the girls said...

Love it! There is nothing better than watching Kaylee read to her sisters or Gracie "reading" books by herself. Reading is such a great lifelong amazing thing!